Friday, February 24, 2006

Why I am Divorcing the Philippines

Today's latest and pathetic coup attempt to oust GMA is the last nail on the coffin. It has tipped the scales on my personal love-hate relationship with the Philippines. I am divorcing the Philippines. Frankly, I will be happy if I never ever had to go back. There's nothing left for me there anymore. My family and friends can always come over to Hong Kong -- a place where just about everything works. Christmas and New Year's can always be spent on safari and in gorgeous Cape Town in the summer -- a HUGE dream of mine. Like us, most of our friends have been citizens of the world for the last several years, so if not for our parents, Jay and I simply have no reason to go back.

While I still carry a Philippine passport I no longer respect what it stands for. We are run by selfish, short sighted, and inconsiderate people who have no real love for the country. The negative economic implications are enormous -- I am sure our ratings will go down, the peso will depreciate (just as it was going great at 51.99 to 1), real estate prices will plummet, and worse, the poor will fare no better and will probably be worse off. 12% of our country's GDP is from remittances from OFWs -- a sad fact; there aren't enough good jobs out there for our own people. Labor, our biggest export -- not exactly great for the country's image. Visas are asked of us whenever we travel outside of the Asean region as retribution for those who have overstayed their welcome in their host countries. And, to add insult to injury, we've been added onto the terrorist watchlist! In the past, it took anytime from 1 day to 1 week to apply for a Shengen visa to Europe, now it takes 3 whole weeks!

Why does everything have to lead to coup attempts, force and violence? Why can't we be civilized about this? Why can't we just accept and work with the present goverment? Why can't we learn from our past? Why can't we learn to think beyond our selfish needs and instead work towards what's good for the country as whole? Why can't we look and adapt from the model governments of Hong Kong and Singapore? These places have experienced mass emigration, economic ruin, turmoil and violence before way back in the 50's and 60's and yet, they were able to overcome all these.

So many questions, and no answers. I give up. I quit the Philippines.

4 Comments:

Blogger ragamuffin girl said...

Yes, it is a sad fact that we are run by selfish animals who have no conscience, whose pockets run deep but whose hearts run dry. The sadder thing is that the citizens are selfish animals as well. I still love the Pilippines and will retire there, given that it still exists as an independent state in 10 years, and has not been run to the ground, taken over by insurgents or blacklisted by the world. Our only hope is for those who truly work for the betterment of our pathetic home to grow in number, and someone smart enough and brave enough will say STOP this FUCKING SHIT LET'S GET ON AND REBUILD.

6:54 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Bandit said...

Almost makes you think that it was probably better when Marcos ran the country! hahaha!

9:37 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger mae said...

The aging and incessant problems of the Philippines. I rest my case...

3:21 PM, February 26, 2006  
Blogger midicrux said...

I'm beginning to rethink my opinion of the Marcos years. Or perhaps, my opinion of those years have not changed, no matter what the teenagers of the seventies' would constantly tell me: I felt safe during the Marcos years; people had jobs and the middle class lived in comfort in the Marcos years.

Which is why I sometimes wonder: with her pompous and ludicrous fetish for shoes, perhaps Imelda's charm is an outright love for the DIGNITY of our country after all.

I don't know anymore. Luckily I'm able to communicate such "blasphemies" here without being told that I'm insane.

9:14 PM, February 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home