Thursday, September 08, 2005

Housewife for hire

As daily lives go, mine is pretty cushy. Yes, I still cringe when I fill in "housewife" for "occupation" on airport immigration forms -- after all I do have 18 years of schooling behind me, and I'm not talking vocational or liberal arts degrees here but good old fashioned "you may hate Accounting but you will get a job after graduation" business degrees -- but there's no denying the fact that while my husband trudges off, reluctantly, to work every morning and draws a paycheck twice a month, I have no such constraints on my daily schedule and yet have marital drawing rights on his income.

This subject is rife with comedic and dramatic possibilities, but let's save such talk for another post.

Let's focus on the work-home issue. Having legitimate access to pots of money while unemployed is a desirable situation -- not just for the female gender for whom, on the surface, the situation is a throwback to a less enlightened age -- but for males as well. Grumpus, who admits that he fell in love with me for my earning potential, and says I was his early retirement plan (thankfully true love materialized when the job market dried up), envies my recent read-two-books-a-week, hit-the-gym-everyday schedule. And does the term "guy-tai" sound familiar, anyone?

There are many reasons for my continued unemployment. Sometimes I try to convince myself that I'm part of a larger sociological trend, like the kind described here, where women "return to their traditional roles as protectors of families, morals...", never mind that there are no children to raise and that the two adults in this family came together with fully formed and presumably compatible moral codes. Surely all stuff I do, like balancing the accounts, choosing investments and socking money away for (his) retirement, buying groceries, making maintenance phone calls, keeping family ties tight across the miles, keeping home homey -- ok I'll admit that I outsource the actual housekeeping -- has some social value?

Yes it does! AND apparently, economic value as well! Thanks to this fellow who, heh, outsourced his family life to India for $1500 a month, the work that goes into keeping hearth and home now has a price. Let's see if I can do everything that his India team did: answering emails - check; making calls - check; ordering groceries, buying movie tickets - check, check; paying bills, buying gifts, calling parents for weekly chat - check, check, check; making up with spouse after fight - check!

Wow! Do I spot an employment opportunity here? Ladies? My mind is exploding with possibilities of other "services" we can offer online!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bandit said...

isn't that depressing but true and funny, that our husbands married us due to our earning potential? And look at us now? We've turned into... as Shyguy mentioned in the past, tai-tai lites!

10:31 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger midicrux said...

You can register your life-management service as a limited company at the HK IRD. :))

m

8:06 PM, September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home