Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Scary talaga!

Was going to inject a note of seriousness to our online kwento-area, but Dawn beat me to it. Best of luck to the Aquino family -- you'll always be in our hearts and in our thoughts, especially when we have a hankering for gourmet home-cooked food!

Sister-in-law and her hubby were visiting last weekend, and the husband and I got the lowdown on the circus that is current Philippine politics. We all know the general story and most of the refrains are familiar: Coup rumors? Yeah, been there done that, watched the 1989 3-week coup from my backyard. Corrupt government officials? Oooh what a shocker! And I thought they only ever wanted to serve the country. Election rigging? Darn, and I thought everyone in office won fair and square. The president, through mismanagement, ineptness and pure political whore-dom squandering economic gains, national potential and the future of the country? Shrug.

Now: the jueteng scandal laid bare and traced up to the yes-I-was-kicked-out-of-two-law-schools, and I-was-the-resident-subdivision-drug-pusher First Son, and Nuts-how-come-these-corruption-stories-have-dogged-me-since-my-wife-first-entered-public-life First Gentleman,

and

The President on tape telling a Comelec official to make sure she beats the runner-up by at least a million votes. And the Palace's completely bungled cover-up.

and

The two stories breaking just a couple of weeks apart?

Ooh, that's pretty juicy.

Who's behind all this? How did they get it on tape? Is that the CIA again? What's going to happen next? Speculate and prognosticate to your heart's content. Read the transcripts and download the tapes at the very, yes very, excellent PCIJ blog, and if you're in the mood for serious journalism, check out their main website.

Yes, that we can read and wring our hands from the safety of our overseas homes ...

1 Comments:

Blogger shyguy said...

I think I am going to puke. We're almost as bad as Zimbabwe and the other African countries ruled by their despots...yes, we have sunk that low!! At this rate, I don't even want to go back home for Christmas! Tama na! Sobra na! Palitan na! (But with whom)?

4:17 PM, June 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home