Monday, May 09, 2005

Aha moment on Mother's Day

We spent a really quiet and relaxing Mother's Day at home yesterday. It was my first Mother's Day as a mom so Chris offered to change all of Sam's diapers. That was really touching because I know how grossed out he is when it comes to diapers. Especially the poo ones. And as an added treat, Sam delivered 2 good poo diapers yesterday. Chris also told me not to cook any meals and that he will do the dishes piled up in the sink.

But as the morning progressed, the dishes weren't being done. Although I had complete confidence Chris would have it done by the end of the day, I wasn't comfortable with the sight of the dishes festering in the sink. It suddenly brought me back to my college days. I remember my grandmother bugging me about doing the dishes everytime they came over for a visit, which annoyed the heck out of me. I felt that as long as the dishes gets done eventually, I don't have to do it the very moment she "reminds" me to do so. Since I was such a busy college girl, the dishes would be left in the sink for at least 2 or more days, until it would magically get washed and put away. Instead of being pleased that my grandmother had done all the work for me, I would get annoyed and upset that she had done it again.

But yesterday, I suddenly figured it out. We took Sam out to the playground to play and I got really thirsty. Because we had just gotten there, I didn't want to cut the fun short and go back for a drink of water. So after our trip to the playground then a quick run to the grocery store, I eagerly headed into our kitchen for a nice tall glass of water. While I was enjoying my drink, my eyes wondered to the left and saw the pile of dirty dishes in the sink. It was an "aha" moment for me. I suddenly realized my grandmother's urge to get the dishes done and mine, is like wanting a glass of water when you're thirsty. When that urge kicks in, you need to fullfill it right away, it can't wait. And when it doesn't get done, its like a bug, gnawing at you. Such a simple concept, and it took me this long to figure it out. If my grandmother were still alive today, I would have picked up the phone and apologized for not quenching her thirst all those years.

So now that I'm the mom, with the pile of dishes in the sink, I find myself with the thirst for getting the dishes done. In the end, I ended up doing the dishes yesterday and just asked Chris to entertain Sam instead. I was completely happy to do it and took nothing against Chris. I felt quenched and happy. And that second poo of the day Sam delivered evened the score anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger ragamuffin girl said...

Growing up with a clean freak mom meant she would fix my war-zone closet every few days, rearrange my "shabby-disorganized-chic" room, close my closet doors several times a day, fold my clean clothes which were strewn all over the place, put in my freshly-laundered and ironed clothes under the older ones (it bugged the hell out of her whenever I put the new clothes on top and wore the same things over and over again), change my sheets and pillowcases, and scold me for being so "burara". She said I could never marry and keep house at the rate I was going.
Now I realize I AM MY MOM! My thirst for cleaning and organizing and closing closet doors and picking up used clothes and changing sheets every 3 days and labelling everything and throwing out trash and placing new clothes underneath and replacing the toilet seat and closing the toothpaste cap is an all-consuming, attention-grabbing passion. Hooray for your a-ha moment! I had mine a few years back when Derrick (again) left our room and toilet in disarray! He's learning, though. :) Guys have a slower learning curve when it comes to practical, street-smart, save-your-life stuff. HEH!

5:41 PM, May 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home