Friday, April 01, 2005

There's a God!

I wanted to post this during Holy Week since its bagay, but I didn't want to offend anyone so I'm posting it now na lang.

Ok, I admit it. I'm not the most religious person. I can almost see the ICA nuns shake their heads in dissappointment at my statement. I wanted to be a nun pa naman when I was in gradeschool. Many of my friends today would be surprised to know this, but I used to attend mass at the Magallanes Church with Jo religiously. I even brought that into my college life when I entered St. Mary's college in California. How it all stopped, I really can't tell you. But as unreligious as I may be, I still believe there's a God.

After I graduated from college, I started going out with this Vietnamese-French guy. What he lacked in intelligence (and boy do I admit it today he sure lacked intelligence) he made it up by being a really considerate, respectful, charming and good looking guy. Until that point in my life he was the most serious boyfriend I had. I even stood up for him during an argument with my dad. My dad was shocked that I was dating an electrician with no college degree! Ah-ya! And how did this guy repay me? Well, he cheated on me by sleeping with a mutual friend of ours when I went to Manila for vacation... during the holidays!

So yadayadayada we broke up, boo hoo hoo, I was devastated, my pride crushed, I returned every single item he ever gave me... damn! Why did I do that? I even returned this $500 pair of diamond earrings he gave me! So anyways, the break up was a standard pikon female reaction story. I even cut up every single picture we took together and barged into his house while he was away. You should have seen the look of bewilderment and confusion on his mom's face when she opened the door (yes, he was living at home, again, what was I thinking??) and let me in. I walked straight into his room, fixed his bed pa so I could emphasize the pile of torn pictures on his bed, took everything that was mine and from its secret location, took out the gun he was hiding and gave it to his dad. (yes, he owned a gun, another what was I thinking moment) I went home feeling contented but still fuming from what he did.

I spoke to a guy friend of mine a few days later, "You Oaghta Know" by Alanis Morissette blasting in the background and seething with anger told him how I wanted revenge on my ex. I told him how I wanted to destroy something that meant alot to him, like his Nissan Pathfinder which he was still making payments for. I told my friend I'd hire someone to destroy it while its parked somewhere away from his house. Siyempre I still had the decency to make sure anything like that would be done away from his home since he had little brothers living there. How considerate of me. I lavished in the thought and felt so much better after venting such evil thoughts with my friend. After that I recovered and went on with my life.

A few weeks later I decided to quit my job and move back to Manila to be with my parents. I was finishing my last few days at the office when suddenly I get a call from my guy friend.

"Hey (Bandit), remember you said you wanted to hire some people to destroy _____'s car? Well, I found those people and they have come down from Oakland and are awaiting your instructions." Guy Friend thoughtfully informed me with an air of achievement.

"WHAT??? What the $!@%? are you talking about??? I was only venting you idiot! Have you lost your mind? There's no way I'd be crazy enough to actually hire someone to destroy someone's car?!?! What the hell!!! What do I do now?!" As I calmly replied.

"Oh..." Long pause. "Well, since they've come down from Oakland already we need to pay them some money to tell them to go back or they're not gonna be happy."

Well, now I know you have to spend around $100 to kindly request a few goons to go back to where they came from after a false alarm. I'm not sure what the going rate is now though.

So with a hole in my pocket, I was still able to scrape up enough money to tour the US a few weeks later. I came home a month or 2 later and received a few phone calls from my former colleagues. They said my ex had been desperately looking for me and had called them a few times to ask how I could be reached. Thinking it might be a desperate attempt to get me back, I ignored the news and never called him back.

One day I receive a call from him.

"Hi (Bandit), heard you went on a trip. Hope you had fun. I called to ask you about something." My ex politely said.

"What is it?" I impatiently replied.

"Well, please don't get mad, but I wanted to ask you. You see, a few weeks ago my car was broken into. They smashed all the windows, damaged the insides and took everything. I just wanted to know if you had anything to do with it.

At that moment I had a grin from ear to ear. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If you could picture it, it was as if the skies had opened, bright sunlight poured down onto me as I looked up into the heavens, raised my hands and said: "There's a God!"

"Gee, I'm really sorry that happend to you. And I am so flattered you thought I had the guts to do something like that. But sorry, it wasn't me." I calmly replied.

"Oh, ok then. Bye." My ex said as he hung up the phone.

I sat there in complete awe. Never did I expect something like this would happen. It was as if I were in a movie or a romance novel gone wrong. Yeah you have vengefull thoughts, but I would never actually wish it on anyone. I called Guy Friend immediately and told him what happend. He assured me he had nothing to do with it and that he honestly sent the mob squad home. Gosh, what goes around really does come around.

So there you go, that's how it was reaffirmed to me that there is a higher power up there. There is a God!

Footnote: But on a more serious note, I don't mean any disrespect to the devout Catholics and other reliogions out there. I simply believe there's a higher power out there. What I want to teach my children in the future is to respect all religions. That no matter what your beliefs are they are there to teach us to do good. Whether my story proved to me that there's a God or that it was Karma, it made me realize we aren't here to simply be. We are all here together and its what we do and how it affects others that will matter in the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger ragamuffin girl said...

you go, girl! that was a terrific story, one meant for the books! didn't realize it could actualy happen to someone i know. mr. cheater better think twice before sleeping around next time.

as for religion, i admit my faith is pretty strong, even if i don't particularly like the rituals. i would always encourage belief in a higher Being, whether He is called God or some other name doesn't matter, He is one and the same to me and i don't understand what the religious divide is all about. your story proves that yes, there is a God; and yes, there is justice, whether apparent in this world or the next. all my blesings, trials, luck, happiness, problems i attribute to Him. my conversion happened after DWTL, before that i'd decided not to practice my belief. now i realize that my life was so empty without Him. not preaching here, just want to share how complete my faith has made me feel.have a great weekend everyone! God Bless!

2:21 PM, April 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home