Thursday, March 03, 2005

Random Thoughts

I'm just sitting here in front of my computer tonight with itchy fingers, so I thought I'd type down a few thoughts.

Have any of you ever tried sitting for a long period of time on the floor? I now have new respect and appreciation for our sofa. Chris and I miss it. Not to mention our bed. It's amazing how your life can seem so disfunctional without furniture. We are currently sleeping in Sam's playpen. Well, not actually in it, but we use it to border off the area in which we are sleeping on. Since it doubles as our bed and Sam's play area, our livingroom is our bedroom as well. It gives a whole new perspective in what we do in specific areas of our apartment. Chris and I were saying to each other last night how wonderful it would be the day our mattress arrives and we get to sleep on a real bed again. People usually drool over good food, Chris and I drool over the thought of a bed. We are so pathetic.

We also miss our rice cooker. Although Chris is Australian, he can't go for very long without white rice and "ulam". I totally miss it. It also means its harder to keep to a low food budget. It really is cheap when you cook up some stir fry every night. And now that Chris has finished his marathon, I don't have to think healthy, low fat and hi carbs anymore. At least that makes it easier for me to come up with dinner. Just tonight I came up with a chicken avocado salad. I mixed chunks of cooked chicken, avocado, raw onion, celery and raisins together. And as a binder, nothing but good ol artery blocking mayo. Yum!

Another thing I miss or am looking forward to is getting a chair to go with our computer desk. I am currently sitting on my jewellery making tool kit with a few pillows stacked on top of it. Before I came up with the ingenious plan of using pillows, my ass was killing me! If I could bend around like a dog, I wouldn't be surprised to see bruises on my butt cheeks from sitting on the floor, sitting on my tool kit and sleeping so close to the floor. Sniff, I miss soft things.

But one thing I realize I miss the most, in the larger picture of my life, is having meals cooked for me. Ever since I moved to HK, I have had to cook and cook and cook. I'm proud to say I have currently reached a point where recipes in books or the internet don't fully satisfy me and I often create my own or change them as I see fit. But oh, to have the pleasure of a meal waiting for me when lunch or dinner comes around is almost orgasmic. Ok, not orgasmic, but sad to say getting close to it. Chris has finally agreed to consider rehiring my maid Fe from Manila and getting her here to HK around year end. When I think of her being here, the first thing that comes to mind is not the clean toilet and sink I'll see, or the clean floors and dishes everyday, but the meals that will finally be waiting for me! I suddenly picture Chris at the finish line, waving his finger in victory, while Sam and I await his arrival. Replace this with me running to the finish line, except it's all the meals that are waiting for me, cheering me on while I run to them with open arms and a huge grin, ready to eat!

So here I am, still in front of my computer. Chris isn't home yet. He's out for dinner. It's his law firm's company spring dinner, whatever that is. For me it means he's out somewhere in Central, in a nice restaurant, enjoying overpriced food and over flowing wine which the company will pay for. Damn him. At least that means less food expense for the night.

But thank god for Thursday lunches with the girls! With it I am just tethering on the edge of self-pity. Without it, I would have fallen into the dark reaches of sheer boredom! And what have I done during these episodes of sheer boredom? Well, maybe I'll share that next time I sit my sore ass down to write again.

4 Comments:

Blogger shyguy said...

You are HILARIOUS Teh Lin! Don't get me wrong, I am not laughing at your sore ass and your "own-cooked" meals (yes, I, too, would KILL for my own cook right now) I am actually laughing with you!

Welcome to our blog! Glad you were finally to write down your "random thoughts" online! Here's to more of these to come!

11:24 PM, March 03, 2005  
Blogger shyguy said...

You are HILARIOUS Teh Lin! Don't get me wrong, I am not laughing at your sore ass and your "own-cooked" meals (yes, I, too, would KILL for my own cook right now) I am actually laughing with you!

Welcome to our blog! Glad you were finally to write down your "random thoughts" online! Here's to more of these to come!

11:24 PM, March 03, 2005  
Blogger mayapapaya said...

keep 'em coming, tehlin! i'm still laughing. you can leave sam with us for a few days, you know.

5:45 PM, March 04, 2005  
Blogger ragamuffin girl said...

I know how you feel, poor girl. For a time after we moved in we had to eat our meals on the floor. When we first arrived here in HK and were billeted at a hotel by Derrick's company, we ate Cafe de Coral almost everyday! It was fast, located nearby, and from a couple used to spending in "pesos", very cheap compared to other HK carinderias!!!! We were entitled to free breakfast and cocktails (reincarnations of what was served at breakfast) at the hotel club floor, so sometimes we would go back to the buffet several times just to stuff ourselves so we would'nt have to buy dinner. Looking back, we were so poorly fed then, and always hungry for home-cooked meals, but we had a blast! Excited pa, as they say, because we were just discovering HK. Now we never go to CDC if we can help it. :) Like I said before, you can leave Sam here with me so you can have time to do your "privacy shmivacy" thing at Chocolux, or elsewhere. :)

11:46 AM, March 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home