Monday, February 28, 2005

Not only men have Hernia


Contrary to what most people think, Hernia, the organ or fatty tissue, which protrudes through a weak point or tear in the muscles or tissues surrounding it, can happen to anyone regardless of age or sex. Yes, I'm a 26 year old woman and I had hernia. For some people, it can be genetic and have it when they are still babies, some much older and some from an accident or injury. Unfortunately, mine is hereditary so no matter how careful I was, a mere cough can trigger it.


This is how it all started... I was brushing my teeth one day when I sensed a little pain in my groin area while leaning on the sink. I felt a small lump on my right groin area and it hurts when I touched it. It scared the hell out of me thinking, it might be an enlarged vein, cyst or what??? I was clueless 'til I remembered what happened to my sister years ago. She had Hernia from playing volleyball during high school and there's a possibility, I might have it too.


The first thing I did the next day was to visit my Gynecologist for an ultra sound and over- all check up. It was the usual procedure to lie down for a pap smear and when I did, the lump on my right groin mysteriously disappeared. Back then, I was beginning to think that I was imagining all these symptoms especially, when the doctor gave me a clean bill of health, gynecologically speaking. I began to describe the bulge I found on my groin area and its symptoms. The doctor diagnosed me with Inguinal Hernia and referred me to a general surgeon for a second opinion. Apparently, I had the Reducible type of Hernia wherein my tissues and intestines went in when I lied down and out when I stood up. Once again, the lump did not appear when I visited the surgeon eventhough, I tried jogging and even bouncing around before seeing him that day. It was frustrating, thinking of ways to make the bulge appear! Luckily, he found a thickness on my right groin area after making me cough several times in the clinic. Finally, I had an appointment with my doctor for a right and left traditional hernia surgery or herniorrhaphy to lessen its recurrence.


Now, I'm sitting here in front of my PC, trying not to mind the persistent pain, after a week from surgery. Having wounds of 2 inches each on my left and right groin, It's like I had a Cesarean operation minus the baby. Ouch, it's still PAINFUL!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home